The Best Ten
Population factoids




The UN estimates that 95% of the population growth coming in the developed world will occur in the U.S.




Population projections from the U.S. Census Bureau: 1996 - 2008

In 1996 they projected U.S. population in 2050 would be 392 million
In 2000 they projected U.S. population in 2050 would be 402 million
In 2004 they projected U.S. population in 2050 would be 420 million
In 2008 they projected U.S. population in 2050 would be 439 million

Do we see a trend here?

From: http://www.census.gov/population/www/projections/index.html




When agriculture was invented, humans, their livestock, and pets together accounted for less than 0.1% of the total vertebrate biomass on Earth. Today, this group accounts for 98% of the earth's total vertebrate biomass, leaving only 2% for the wild portion.




In the United States:
51% of the people believe evolution never happened
34% believe evolution happened, but was directed by God
15% believe in science
From Newsweek poll



The projection for the year of "90% exhaustion" of world fossil fuels is 2076.


(Return to home page)

Send any suggestions for additions to this "TopTen" list to suggestions@populationelephant.com